Tuesday 21 December 2010

Wiped and TV

Yep, I'm feeling wiped. I knew last week would do that to me. This week is a good week with only 2 appointments but of course there is Christmas preparation.

Writing update~
Well all is going well. Editing Gateway is nice and steady and I have finished the first draft of the Shadow novella. I'm going to let that sit for a bit. The next piece of writing I want to tackle are a couple of short stories. Though I may not start until after Christmas. Need the brain to recharge.

Reading update~
I go on about my reading on my reading blog, Eleni's Library, but I'm going well with my challenges. I haven't quite reached all the targets for the 2010 challenges yet but there are eleven days to go! :)


TV update~
Thoroughly annoyed with SyFy in the US - they have cancelled Stargate: Universe or SG:U for short. I've ranted about shows being cancelled before. I just don't get it. And really I really would like to know how they work out ratings. I do hope SGU is able to find a home on another channel. And I do think the timing for this is wrong - SGU has found it's stride I believe. I really would love to see the story arc unfold and it get it's time. I think that's the problem these days.

There are so many options for viewers that our attention span has scattered somewhat. Everything has to be go, go, go all the time, and that's not how it always works. So when there is a dip in the ratings, there is the 'the sky is falling' attitude, rather than truly examining why - is the time-slot right? Do people record the program - ie I think followers of sci-fi shows know how to work a recorder and can watch it later. But does this affect ratings? What can viewers do to keep their favourite shows alive? I know people are not investing so much effort into series now because of fear of it being cancelled, and would rather wait until it is out on DVD. So hence, less viewers, less ratings for TV - it's a wicked circle.


Anyhow, I'll get off my soap box.

~yia~

4 comments:

AJ Blythe said...

Eleni, they cancelled SGU? And at Christmas time? Hopw heartless...

Eleni Konstantine said...

Hey Anita, yes so close to Christmas. Hope all cast and crew are able to find work quick smart. Or let's hope it gets picked up elsewhere.

Mel Teshco said...

Some of the best shows are the ones they've cancelled, totally amazing!

Eleni Konstantine said...

So true Mel. Actually they cancelled the original Star Trek and look how that ended up!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...