Tuesday 20 October 2009

Eleni-fest: Erica Hayes on fantasy romance




Today we have my fellow RWA Paranormal member, the zany Erica Hayes on Eleni-fest. Erica's debut urban fantasy novel, Shadowfae was released this on the 13th of this month. Congratulations Erica! 









Welcome Erica to the Taverna and to Eleni-fest! 


Take it away....




Hi everyone, and thanks to Eleni for inviting me to Eleni-fest. I'm proud to be here!


My Shadowfae series is published as urban fantasy, but the books have strong romantic plotlines too. I wouldn't know how to write a story without at least a little romance! For me it's the most interesting part, seeing how characters grow and develop when faced with relationship issues on top of all the other things we throw at them.

And I think this is one reason why fantasy romances – in all their forms, be it science fiction, paranormal, urban fantasy, high fantasy – are so popular: the stakes for the characters can be so very high.

Using a fantasy or paranormal world as a backdrop means that 'saving the world' is often the problem the heroine has to face. Because in fantasy, if she's got paranormal powers or magic (or even if she doesn't) then it's likely the villains/antagonists do too – and the magical forces of evil won't be satisfied with anything less than world domination.

Alas, that kind of plot can seem a little silly when set in the 'real' world. It's much easier, and probably more believable, to have the fate of the world at stake when magical powers and paranormal creatures are involved – when heaven and hell are real, and damnation is as likely, and as attractive, as salvation.

But we writers aren't satisfied with that, no way. We want to torture our characters even more. "Saving the world? Pfft! You think you've got problems now. Wait until you get a load of THIS guy!" Throw in a forbidden but powerful and oh-so-devilishly-attractive hero, and the heroine is really under some serious pressure.



So we come to the second factor in the popularity of fantasy romances: the hero. Fantasy means latitude to create, and fantasy heroes can be the ultimate wish-fulfilment daydream. So powerful, so dangerous, so good in bed :) and no one can say it's not realistic, so long as the writer builds the world believably and consistently.

And that's why I love fantasy romance – because the possibilities are endless, and endlessly exciting.

So tell me: who's your favourite fantasy/sci-fi romance hero? Or heroine? Or pair? And what makes them so special for you? I adore Riley Jenson from Keri Arthur's Guardian series, because she's so tough and pragmatic. And I have to admit to a big girly crush on Quinn ;) Who's yours?




Thanks Erica for your joining in the festing fun! Erica has kindly offered a giveaway of a copy of her debut book, Shadowfae (must be over 18 to receive).


To enter, make a comment in answer to Erica's question above. Comments will be open until
the end of the 25th October. 




Comments for the giveaway have now closed. Congratulations Mel Teshco!


Good luck!
And thank you to Erica for her generosity.


Please visit Erica's website to check out her books.


~yia~


p.s. Erica - I have a big girly crush on Quinn too - hee hee as well as Aragon (above).

18 comments:

Unknown said...

Hi Eleni & Erica :)
Thank you for the great guest post Erica! I love romantic fantasy, or paranormal fantasy too and all Fantasy.
:)
My favorite fantasy hero?
Harry Dresden
:)
All the best,
RKCharron
xoxo

The Scarf Princess said...

Thanks for visiting us Erica! I really enjoyed your interview and am dying to get my hands on your new book!

My favorite character is JR Ward's Zsadist. He's overcome alot in life and it makes you want to just hug him as he struggles to learn the concept of love.

joderjo402 AT gmail DOT com

Louise Delamore said...

I have a different answer every time I think about this question, but having just re-read 'Son of Shadows' by Juliet Marillier, I'm going to go with Bran. Acheron & Lucas Hunter are also old favorites :)

Mel Teshco said...

Oh geez, I'm going to go back to one of my fav books and say Clayton is my favourite hero from Kelley Armstrong's Bitten. I love his obsession with the heroine, how nothing else really matters but her *sigh* *be still my heart* LOL

Eleni Konstantine said...

Hi everyone - thanks for making Erica feel welcome. I think she has hit the nail on the head about the popularity of the fantasy romances.

Rob - I've only read the first Harry Dresden book but it's on the list to read.

Joder - I love JR Ward's Zsadist too - seeing him falling in love and learn to want to live has been amazing.

Louise - Yes there are so many wonderful heros and heroines in this world aren't there.

Mel - I'll have to add that to my to read list.

Erica - agree with Keri's Guardian series indeed. I have to add her Nikki & Michael partnership - and the learning to let eachother fully into both of their worlds.
-Denise Rossetti's The Flame & The Shadow - the relationships between Cenda, Grayson and Shad is truly unique.
- I have to say a new fave is Tracey O'hara's Antoinette and Christian.

Christina Phillips said...

Heck ask a hard question why don't you... lol... ok one of my all time fave heroes is Judd from Caressed by Ice. There's just something so irresistible about his struggle to deal with love and touch while all the while it's killing him inside *sigh*

Tracey O'Hara said...

Great Post Ms E. Now to pick a hero. I have this character Viktor... y'all might know him :P

Seriously though - I have to agree with Joder. I LOVED Zsadist. For all the weird names and crazy goings on he was just one of the best characters to watch grow. There are probably more but my work addled mind in on a loop and I can't think.

Eleni Konstantine said...

Christina - I KNOW how could Erica ask such hard questions. So many heros, heroines, couples out there.

Tracey - work addled mind- you poor thing. And yes Zsadist is a fave of mine too. Come back and tell us more when the addling has gone :)

Erica Hayes said...

Thanks for coming by, everyone! And thanks to Eleni for a wonderful fest :)

Love me some Harry Dresden!

Eleni Konstantine said...

Hey Erica, thanks for coming to the fest!!

Oh and did you or anyone watch the TV series The Dresden Files. I really liked it...but it was those shows that got cancelled. :(

elaing8 said...

Great post.I look forward to reading Shadowfae.
I like all the brothers in JR Ward's BDB Series. They're all fierce,strong,and loyal..the bad boy.
elaing8(at)netscape(dot)net

Nicky Strickland said...

Eleni - you have to read Kelley Armstrong's Women of the Otherworld - so many to choose from & Mel I agree regarding Clayton. Kelley is up there on one of my favourite authors, having squee moments when new books are out (have you tried her new YA series - also set in the Otherworld?)

Erica - aren't afraid of the hard questions are you....For the pairings I have a soft spot for Zarek & Astrid in Sherrilyn Kenyon's Dance with the Devil.

For heroines I'm quite partial to Riley and hero, Acheron (his relationship to Simi are always highlights in the books). Hmmm, getting Acheron & Riley together - I didn't type that did I???

Aaaaah Harry Dresden. Eleni we own the dvd set of the 12 that were made (such a shame it was axed) & the books are great fun. Really enjoy those. In fact one of the very few series my other half & I beat each other to reading.

Eleni Konstantine said...

elaing8 - Shadowfae looks great doesn't it. And I still have yet to really get into the last of the BDB books...I really enjoy them. I love how we see bits of the characters from different POVs.

Nicky - OK, will have to make some time to catch up on all these great titles.... LOL and Riley and Acheron.

So many books, so little time....

Linda Henderson said...

Well he may be considered more paranormal but I like Lucan Rourke from Susan Kearney's Lucan, part of the Pendragon Legacy.

seriousreader at live dot com

Eleni Konstantine said...

LInda - more on my TBR pile... :))

Eleni Konstantine said...

Thanks for everyone for commenting. And thanks to Erica for joining us!

The winner of Shadowfae is Mel Teshco!!

Mel Teshco said...

OMG - I WON!!!!!
Thanks so much Erica and Eleni!!! I'm going out to buy myself a lotto ticket cause I never win anything - until recently =)
Can't wait to read the whole book!

Eleni Konstantine said...

What can I say Mel - well done - the random wheels came back to you again.

Enjoy!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...