Monday 26 October 2009

Eleni-fest: chatting with Trish Morey




Today we have fellow SARA member, the ever delightfully wickedly witty Trish Morey as my special guest on Eleni-fest. Trish writes Presents (Sexy) romances for Harlequin Mills & Boon. Her book The Italian Boss’s Mistress of Revenge won the 2009 R*BY for short sexy category, and Trish was the well deserved recipient of Honorary Life Membership.







Welcome Trish to Eleni’s Taverna and Eleni-fest!

Thank you for hosting me, Eleni, it’s a pleasure to be here at Eleni-fest, a Greek twist on the usual Oktoberfest! I love it. Someone pass the dolmades...


Congratulations on your second R*BY win (having won in 2006 for 'The Italian Boss’s Secret Child' There seems to be something about Italian Bosses *g*). How did it feel to win for a second time?
Out of this world, Eleni! It was such an honour to be nominated a second time, I certainly didn’t expect to win, especially given the competition. I used to devour Miranda Lee’s books (almost as quickly as this dolmade is disappearing) when I was trying to get published, she’s just such a star of the line. Carol Marinelli is a fabulous friend and I adore her books and her sexy heroes and there was good mate Paula Roe too, with her debut book no less! Awesome writers all.
(And yes, I’ve asked my editor for more Italian Boss titles J)




Love the photo of you, Marion Lennox, and Anne Gracie at the awards night – you all look like you are a happy bunch of friends sharing a very special moment together.
That was one amazing night! It was so great to see Marion take out the Sweet RuBY,  so very well deserved  and again, in such a strong field! Then to have Anne win in the long category as well – well, like I said, it was amazing to share such a moment with such special friends. Mind you, so many of the finalists are good friends, it was bound to be a happy night. That’s the nature of the Australian romance community.  I’ve never had a job where so many of my colleagues have become such good mates.
(EK: So true)



Another Congratulations on being the recipient of Honorary Membership! How exciting. How does it make you feel being recognised for all you have done for RWA?
It’s very humbling, that’s for sure. RWAustralia is such a fabulous organisation. It’s been an honour to have been able to give something back to an organisation that has given me so much, including some of the best friends I think I’ll ever have. The Honorary Membership was definitely the cherry on top!


What attracted you to the Presents (Sexy) line?
I always loved the sexy stories. I practically inhaled the Emma Darcy, Miranda Lee, Helen Bianchin, Robyn Donald etc books when I was trying to get published and I knew that those were the books I wanted to write -meaty stories with strong heroes and feisty heroines and lashings of passion. Then a cousin of a good friend of mine was published, first by Dolly Fiction and then by HM&B,– that author was Alison Kelly and I just adored her books, still have them all on my keeper shelf. Her success really inspired me because I knew it really could happen to real people.


Your stories often feature Mediterranean heroes, Greeks, Spaniards and those award winning Italian Bosses. What’s the appeal of the Mediterranean hero?
Ooh, how long have we got?


Mind you, Eleni, I’m surprised you have to ask J.  It’s the passion of the Mediterranean hero, the short fuse on one hand, the strong sense of family on the other. It’s the accent that makes the sound of your own name curl into your senses, and it’s the dark eyes and dark hair and olive skinned perfection that makes even a winter body look buff. Along with the fact all our fantasy heroes are tall, dark and dangerously built. You might not necessarily meet them in the local Yiros takeaway in Chania or outdoor trattoria in Rome, or maybe you just can’t afford to get there, but you will meet them between the pages of a Presents/Sexy novel. Guaranteed.


But Presents isn’t just about Mediterranean males – I do so love a hot desert sheikh to warm my toes on a cold night.  J
(EK: J )






What are you working on now? And what’s in the near future for Trish Morey?
I’m currently zooming (hahaha – I wish!) towards the finish of my nineteenth title for Presents/Sexy.  It’s set on a gorgeous tropical island north of Cairns with a yummy hero (inspired by the ultra delish Andrea Zanchini) and a wedding planner who’s going to get more than she bargained for and it’s due in, oh, a little over a week. Wish me luck!


Meanwhile already in the works is His Mistress for a Million, a book that takes you from rain-soaked London to the cerulean perfection of Santorini. That’s due out next February /March.  Followed by Forbidden: The Sheikh’s Virgin, book 3 in the Dark Hearted Desert Men miniseries, following on from the Karedes continuity.  That will be on the shelves next June/July. Ooh, perfect timing Downunder for a bit of toe warming reading...


Do you have any say in the titles of your books?
I’ve always had fun with titles. I actually use them as a touchstone, to keep the sense of what the book is about as I’m writing it (a mini-synopsis, or tag line if you like) and love trying to outguess marketing.


I kept The Boss’s Christmas Baby”,  “Back in the Spaniard’s BedandThe Sheikh’s Convenient Virgin with small changes to others, but I admit I will never, never understand the marketing decision that turned my Broome book, The Pearl Master’s Mistress, into A Virgin for the Taking.  I much preferred the Spanish version, Amor y Perlas – Love and Pearls. At least that title managed to capture the magic and the romance.



You constantly hit the Borders/Waldenbooks bestseller’s list. How does that feel?
Blessed.  It’s a fact that when you sell to Presents or Desire, you are almost guaranteed a slot in the top ten, their sales are so strong.  That’s part of the beauty of category – you have this huge Harlequin machine and high sales already behind you. It’s not like trying to find your way as an unknown in single title.


That said, given the huge names in Presents, it’s mind blowing when you secure a top number. I’ve been lucky enough to win the #1 slot four times now and I think that’s pretty cool.  Much more satisfying than the releases that disappear without trace.


But there are no guarantees. I think name has a little to do with it, and building up a following, but there’s also the cover art, the title, the back cover blurb that also comes into it.  You never know how one particular book will fare so it’s always lovely when they’re well received.


Are you a plotter or a pantser?
Too much of a pantser I’m afraid. I start with a premise, gather bits of flotsam and jetsam that float through my brain or my vision, a snatch of dialogue here, a photo or article snipped from a magazine there, and then, when I’m antsy enough, I launch the story off into the wild blue yonder, because I know that by writing it is the only way I’m going to work out how it finishes. I mean, I know there’s going to be a happy ending, but how?
Daft process really. Don’t try it at home...


You’re a wife, a mother of 4 teenaged daughters, and are a writer.  How do you fit it all in? Do you have a set routine?
**insert maniacal laughter here** Seriously, I do try to get as much done as I can during the school day. Unfortunately the muse can be a bit recalcitrant and like to kick in at oh, ten minutes to 4, when I’m due at the bus stop at 4. It’s a juggle, like any working mum finds, trying to work, stock the pantry, do the washing, fix meals, though lucky for me the girls are learning that mum will happily pay them to do the cleaning and vacuuming. It’s definitely easier, now they’re growing up. There’s something very liberating about a child that can go to the toilet and make their own toast. Even more useful when they can knock up a decent bruschetta and wield a dustpan and  brush. Come to think of it, I may never let them leave home...
(EK: ah, you sound like a Greek mama about never letting them leave home J)



You live in the Adelaide Hills and even had it featured in your 2009 R*BY winning book. What do you love about the hills?
It’s a really special part of Adelaide, close to the city but a world apart. Our home is set amidst cherry and apple orchards, bushland and vineyards with a view between the hills to the sea. The changing seasons mean the scenery is never the same from one day to the next, whether it’s cherry blossom time or when the hills are shrouded in thick fog.


It’s a great place to walk the dog and think and I never tire of spotting koalas. You can’t help but smile when you see their cute little furry faces. I love it here. It’s a place that feeds my soul.


You have foreign editions of your books – the latest being Mangas. Very impressive. What was your reaction in seeing these? Having a quick look through myself, what does your family have to say about them?
I love all my translations – it’s always exciting when those little envelopes turn up in the post – and getting the first from somewhere new is always exciting. My first Arabic translation turned up recently and made my day. And I’ve had translations from such far flung places as Korea, Israel, Russia, Norway, South Africa – so far I’ve been published in more than twenty languages in around 40 countries world wide.




But my favourites have to be my Mangas! One very sweet, a doe eyed heroine and dashing Spaniard, and a cute floppy eared puppy, I adore it. The other rather more explicit! Miss 19yo was shocked, to put it mildly. I love it. It’s always rewarding to be able to shock your teenagers. J







    I lived vicariously through your blog posts when you travelled OS last year. You were working on a book? Did you manage to soak up the atmosphere and use it on your writing? I mean Santorini, blue skies and seas, white buildings, laptop outside...sounds magical.

    Gosh, it’s a year ago already. I’m so glad you enjoyed my (less than frequent) posts, Eleni! We did have the best time, visiting London, Rome, Athens, Crete, Doha and somewhere I’ve always longed to go, that gorgeous island of Santorini. And it was everything I’d hoped it would be – romantic, atmospheric, rugged and dangerous and stunningly beautiful. The only fly in the ointment was having to revise a manuscript while we travelled. It wasn’t easy, but the surroundings must have helped because The Ruthless Greek’s Virgin Princess was accepted shortly after we arrived home and my Santorini book, His Mistress for a Million, will be out next February/March, so look out for that one!


    Thanks Trish for joining us at the fest! Trish has kindly offered a copy of ‘The Best Love Stories of 2009’ as a give away, that contains six fabulous R*BY shortlisted books!

    For your  chance to  win, let us know what you love about the place you live. One comment will be drawn at random to win!

    Comments will be open until October 31st!


    Comments for prize now closed. Congratulations to Becca J Heath!





    ~yia~

    55 comments:

    Anna Campbell said...

    Hey, is there a Golden Rooster here? Or perhaps a golden Greek tycoon? Who has it all over a rooster, if you ask me!

    Eleni, great interview, as ever. Trish, what a wonderful interview. I always find out something new about you! The new book sounds great! And congratulations on that R*BY win. I was so excited for you when you came home with the goods - and you so deserve the lifetime membership.

    Anna Campbell said...

    Oh, by the way, I adore your way with words, my friend. His accent curls around you name? Yum!

    Kylie Griffin said...

    I can remember winning a copy of Trish's book "Forced Wife, Royal Love Child" at the RWNZ conference during her workshop with Yvonne Lindsay. I did the unthinkable and read the book to scan the opening few pages...and don't remember about 15mins of that workshop as I was hooked from the opening scene. It opened with a hot, riveting sex scene, you know the one where your eyes just can't stop scanning the lines of text because you've got to know where the scene is leading? The friend sitting next to me had to take the book away so I could concentrate. VB:-)

    Your RUBY and Lifetime Membership was well deserved, Trish. Thank you for your dedication to RWA.

    BTW, I love the colour of your jacket at the awards dinner - meant to tell you that during the weekend.

    What's so special about where I live? The wide-open beauty of the plains and the jagged volcanic-styled outlines of the ranges and hills, the patchwork like change in the colours of the crops each season, the soft hiss of wind through the trees as it tickles the leaves, the chorus of morning birds I wake up to...the list could go on.

    Shayne said...

    Hi Trish,
    I'm relieved to find a pantser - yet still so prolific and successful.

    I went to your session at the RWA conference in Brizzy and had a ball.

    You bring that energy, passion and humour to your writing.

    Best wishes,
    Shayne

    PS: I love Eleni's comment about the Greek mother.

    Becca said...

    Hi Trish and Eleni,
    thanks for another great and ineteresting interview.
    I love your books Trish - it's so great to read an SA author!
    What's great about where I live? Mostly it's that I'm just a few mins from the city or the sea and just half an hour from the lovely Adelaide Hills. Being down on the plain here I guess that means I look up to you Trish? LOL!
    And I already have the book so don't worry about the draw.
    =)

    Trish Morey said...

    Eleni, I swear you make any blog post look great! Thank you, my friend, it scrubbed up very nicely:-))

    And may I say, you're doing an awesome job with Eleni-fest. Congratulations!

    Trish Morey said...

    Good morning to all the early risers! The first coffee of the day's been consumed, the tin lids are on the bus and phew, the rush is over for now. Lovely to see people dropping by!

    Anna, do you ever sleep? Thanks for your congrats - and congrats to you too, with the release of Captive of Sin! More delicious reading to look forward to. Bring it on.

    Linda Henderson said...

    I enjoyed your interview and I always enjoy your books. I am very happy with where I live. I am within 15 minutes of the town I grew up in and my parents, one brother and my only sister still live there. In the city where I live my daughters and my grandchildren live within five minutes of me. As you can tell, family is important to me.

    Trish Morey said...

    Hey Kylie, what do you mean you weren't paying attention at our workshop! I'm shocked, you hear, shocked! Mind you, very chuffed you found the start of Forced Wife engaging:-))

    Thanks for your congrats too. I do love that jacket - I was shopping with Elizabeth Rolls when we happened on that store. Eventually, both a wee bit poorer, we made it out again...

    But why, oh why, did I get the impression you lived out in the middle of nowhere? The soft hiss of wind through the leaves, the jagged volcanic peaks, the morningbird chorus, the patchwork colours - it sounds gorgeous! Definitely a place to call home.

    Trish Morey said...

    Hi Shayne and thanks for dropping by! You came to my session in Brizzy? That's great! I'm so glad you enjoyed it. That conference had such a buzz about it, and it was all about the people. Gotta love romance writers:-))

    Trish Morey said...

    Hi Becca, another Adelaide gal! I love Adelaide - the sea on one side, the hills on the other, we really do have the best of both worlds.

    It was so lovely to be able to sneak a bit of the Adelaide Hills into The Italian Boss's Mistress of Revenge - I love that people all over the world are learning about our gorgeous city.

    Thanks for commenting! And if you already have the prize book, no worries, you can always request something else from my backlist if your name is drawn - okay?

    Trish Morey said...

    Wow Linda, how fortunate to have your family so close, that's becoming more and more rare these days. We lived in Canberra several years and the girls used to see their grandparents only once or twice a year. Now we're 5 minutes away from my folks and it's so much nicer for the kids to have more contact with them and be able to share all the special occasions with them - all family is so important, but that grandparent/grandchild one is really special, I think.

    Enjoy!

    Mel Teshco said...

    Well done Trish,
    those awards are well-deserved! I've loved your books and loved your workshops =)
    My area is a beautiful piece of rural QLD with rolling hills (ex-dairy country) and tall gum trees. I love sitting out on the deck and watching the horses in the paddock, listening to the birds (cockatoos, galahs, parrots) and thinking about my next book...when there's time to reflect! LOL

    Dora Braden said...

    Trish, it's always great listening to you talk about your writing.
    You named the writers who influenced your writing, now you are one of those inspiring authors to me and no doubt many others. Your comments about the time before you were published and believing it could happen to you really helped me. Persistence is fueled by such beliefs.
    Thanks for the great RWA workshops.
    I must say, you look lovey in Orange. Congratulations on your Ruby win and your well deserved lifetime membership.

    Dora Braden said...

    Live in an outer suburb of Melbourne where there are hills and gum tree's. Native birds chatter and sing to each sunrise. In the late afternoon the Rosellas arrive to feast on the nectar of the bottle bushes.

    Trish Morey said...

    Ooher Mel, that sounds like absolute paradise, just divine. I have to admit, I'm a sucker for rolling hills. Gimme land with texture, that's what I really love.

    You might need another chair on that deck. Move over sister:-))

    (and thanks for your lovely words about my books and workshops!)

    Trish Morey said...

    Hey Dora, I'm really touched by your comments and so honoured to be considered an inspiration. That's a *wow* moment for me. Thank you!

    And ah, more hills and trees and birds. The parrots are considered a curse hereabouts come cherry season, and I understand the cherry farmers' pov, but gosh, I love their colour and their squawking. (the parrots, that is:-))

    We get loads of black and white cockatoos around here too. They sit high in the ancient pine trees planted around here by the early settlers and strip the pine cones, bombing everything and everyone below. We had to put up a carport to protect our windscreens. And the noise! They're just fabulous.

    Trish Morey said...

    Ooh, not that the cockies are black and white. I meant we get both sorts. I think I just invented a Collingwood Cocky - lol.

    Paula Roe said...

    Hey there, Ms Morey! How cool to think you're on your 19TH book already 8-O

    Even after all these years, I still feel like a bit of an SA native, having lived in Modbury, then Barossa Valley for many years. :::sigh::: Angaston is a gorgeous, gorgeous town. May have to retire there (either that or Surfers LOL)

    Trish Morey said...

    Hey Paula! How did we ever lose you to Sydney?

    The Barossa Valley is gorgeous. You've just reminded me I haven't been there for yonks. Must take the girls for a day out. After this book - ugh!

    And you retire? Can't imagine that!

    Paula Roe said...

    I guess 'retire' isn't exactly the right word for writers, is it? :-D I only know of one who actually did... and now I can't think of her name, dammit. How on earth can you turn off all those stories begging to be written??

    Eleni Konstantine said...

    Thanks everyone for welcoming Trish to the taverna! And thanks Trish for joining us.

    I've put on the Greek music - here's some more dolmathes, pita bread and the dips, olives, feta, some retsina and they yummy baklava and coffees will be coming in afterwards.

    Enjoy everyone!

    Eleni Konstantine said...

    Anna - no Golden Rooster here. A Golden Greek Tycoon sounds good. Have a day of luxury day with him - LOL!
    - thanks Anna - Trish is amazing isn't she. Too right she deserved that membership recognition.

    Kylie - LOL - I love it. That's when you've got a great beginning - when even in the middle of a workshop you can't stop reading.
    -Trish's jacket just rocks!
    - oh what a gorgeous description of where you live.

    Shayne - yes, go the pantsers eh! And Trish is just one of those people that exudes positive energy. You can't help but be perked up by just sitting next to her.
    - LOL- yes, Trish's research into Greek heros has gone a step further - Greek mamas.

    Becca - hey there SA-er! LOL about looking up at Trish. She's like an Olympian Goddess on the mountain looking down on us ;))

    Eleni Konstantine said...

    Aww shucks thanks Trish for the compliment. Honestly, hey could this blog post not look good - look at the covers, the lovely authors, and let's not forget Mr Andreas!! And thanks - I'm glad you're enjoying Eleni-fest.

    And my goodness everyone is an early riser. My night owl eyes are just creaking fully open now....

    Eleni Konstantine said...

    Linda - lovely that you are surrounded with family and that you have a close relationship with them.

    Mel - oh what a beautiful place to live. Perfect for daydreaming about the next book.

    Dora - welcome to the taverna! Another lovely place...oh we are so lucky in Australia aren't we. And isn't Trish's story so inspiring.

    Paula - yes 19 books! amazing. She'll be up to the half century mark in no time.....
    - learn something new every day - I didn't know you had lived in Modbury and the Barossa. You could 'retire' half the year in Angaston and the other half in Surfers - best of both worlds!

    Trish - I've never been to the Barossa - hangs head - but on the list!

    Christina Phillips said...

    Hi Trish and oh wow that you're on your 19th book already. I remember when you sold, and your sale story sooo inspired me and kept me going when I felt like chucking it all in!

    What I love about living in WA - well we're 2 minutes from a gorgeous beach, I love having a warm summer and even after almost 11 years I'm still fascinated by the wild parrots, pink galahs and pelicans. I also love the pair of doves who coo in our back garden. Just didn't get any of that in Croydon, UK!!!

    alliemf said...

    Hi Trish and Eleni!

    Another great interview! And congrats Trish on becoming a "Lifer". You deserve it. I have never had a 'bad read' from one of your books.

    And I am glad you have shown off our beautiful Hills to the world. Even though I am 100% saltwater South Australian, I love going to the Hills for a visit, escpecially in Autumn. And I adore the view of my little Adelaide from Mount Lofty.

    Cheers dears.

    Alison

    Sharon Archer said...

    Hi Trish and Eleni

    Great interview! Congratulations again, Trish, on your fabulous R*BY win and on receiving the Honorary Membership. I was thrilled to bits for you when I heard the news!

    And here you are finishing your 19th book! That's so brilliant - you're an inspiration! Good luck with getting it in on that deadline!

    Where we live, we get visits from native animals too. I love seeing the different birds coming in to drink and chatter at the bird bath. And timid wallabies and kangaroos in the orchard or if I'm lucky a koala in a gumtrees in the paddock.

    :)
    Sharon

    Trish Morey said...

    Hey Eleni, welcome to your blog:-))

    Love the music - is that a bazouki?

    As for Olympian goddess up on the mountain - hehehe - you do know that goats also live up in mountains? And given I have a book due and haven't had my hair done since before conference - uhoh - lets just say it's getting a bit wild and woolly up here.

    Eleni, I can't believe you've never been to the Barossa. That is something we are just going to have to fix!

    Trish Morey said...

    Hi Christina - sorry for delays, my internet is doing its usual hills thing (the downside to living in the hills) where broadband has to fit through the eye of a needle - I'm so glad you didn't chuck it in Christina! I bet you are too:-))

    Hmmm, Croydon UK to Perth - now there's a seachange! Sounds like an excellent place to live with the beach and the wildlife. Just gorgeous.

    Trish Morey said...

    Hi Alison! When we returned to Adelaide after a long haul away, I knew I was going to live in the hills or on the coast, one or the other. The hills won out that time, but I can see the sea through a gap in the hills, so I don't feel I'm missing out entirely. We do have great beaches.

    And I'm with you on the hills in autumn - just spectacular. I always make an excuse to go to Stirling to see the display of colour.

    Trish Morey said...

    Hey Sharon, thanks for dropping by! Sounds like you have a lovely spot to live, there's nothing nicer than having native animals and birds drop by for a visit. Although from what I've heard, possums taking up residence in the roof might have me change my mind on that score.

    Anne said...

    Hi there Trish and Eleni -- great interview, galz. Loved the manga shocking the 19yo -- it's a mother's duty to keep the ability to shock in her own hot little hands. LOL
    Best of luck with the current book -- sounds like you're on the home straight!

    Eleni Konstantine said...

    Christina - ah heaven, 2 minutes from the beach. And what a change of scenery for you from the UK.

    Alison - LOL - love the "Lifer". Agree with you - I've loved every one of Trish's books.
    - love the sea too!

    Sharon - sounds heavenly where you are.

    Trish - LOL - yes it took me a little while. Actually today is a modern mix - so yes bouzouki main flavour.
    - LOL on getting abit wild and woolly. As Barney from the Simpsons says 'How very European' ;))
    - I know shocking isn't re the Barossa. If I have gone it was when I was a kid on some day trips we did but I can't remember it. Sigh. Hey we should have a SARA weekend there!

    Anne - isn't the manga great - love that it shocked Trish's daughter. Can you hear it 'Mum!!' ;))

    Anna Hackett said...

    Hi Trish and Eleni –
    Fab interview! Trish, congrats on the R*UBY, Life Membership and book no. 19. I attended your workshop in Brisbane (I was sitting next to Eleni, now I think about it) and really enjoyed it. Good luck with that deadline!

    I live in the middle of nowhere NT. The best thing for me is walking along the most pristine beaches I’ve seen with not another soul in sight.

    Eleni Konstantine said...

    Anna H - hey there. Yes we were sitting next to each other. Great workshop indeed.
    - oh and those beaches all to yourself. Lovely!!

    Trish Morey said...

    Lovely to see you here, Anne G! And yup, home stretch it is. Mind you, it seems to be one heck of a long home stretch:-/

    Eleni, I think a SARA outing to the Barossa is just the ticket. We could even say it was a retreat and pretend we were going to work there - lol!

    Anna, you were at my workshop too? I think I've got the whole contingent here today:-)) So glad you enjoyed it and thanks for the deadline good luck wishes! Pristine beaches do it for me, too, so long as there's no crocodiles lurking...

    Paula Roe said...

    oo, I'd come on down for the chance to visit the Barossa again!

    Anna, I'd love a good vacant beach. Hate crowds!

    Nicky Strickland said...

    Trish congratulations on your R*UBY, Life Membership & book 19 achievements!

    I love those manga covers (the fact they had added shock-the-teen value is priceless).

    Anna H - wow private, pristine beaches!

    Eleni - are you ever immune to the Mediterranean heroes? Sometimes they just don't work on me (I blame being surrounded by Sicilians *lol*).....

    I live in inner-city Brisbane & the house was my Nanna's (funny how life works, she remarried at 76 selling this house). So there's a lot of memories you can feel through the walls.

    The thing I really love, is even though I'm so inner-city, I've a yard (not big) that manages to pull you into a sense of quiet that you don't even realise the CBD is only 5-10km away (I'm hopeless with distance *lol*). The fact the yard also attracts all manner of fauna is a bonus.

    Anna Hackett said...

    Sorry, I should have clarified...I only walk on the beach because there are crocs! I don't like them so much (-:

    The surf life savers sometimes open the beach and patrol, but I haven't been tempted to risk the water. I'll stick to the sand.

    Eleni Konstantine said...

    Trish - a drinking...um writer's retreat sound great eh? :)

    Paula - I see you up for that too. You're itching to come to SA, aren't you?

    Nicky - a little but then again I won't read about a Mediterranean hero when I'm in that 'bl**dy stubborn Greeks' mood ;)) They do make alpha males for sure!! Trish gets that so well.
    - love that your Nanna married at 76 - how lovely for her and that you have a house full of memories.
    - as for distance I know what you mean!!

    Eleni Konstantine said...

    eeek Anna H - crocs - um no wonder the beach is deserted!! ;))

    Trish Morey said...

    Hey Paula, we'll organise the SARA Barossa retreat and give you a buzz - how's that? Sounds like a great idea to me.

    Nicky, thanks for dropping by - fancy being surrounded by Sicilians! I imagine a nice Beta read is like a holiday. Mind you, all that Mediterranean passion - just fantastic for research:-)

    And thanks so much for your congrats! And those translations really are priceless - we focus so much on selling (and that's what we're aiming for) so that when it happens, this other stuff is such a bonus. Lovely to embarrass your 19yo into the deal.

    BTW, I love that you live in your nanna's house. I so get that feel of the memories embedded in the walls. I had an ancient dresser of my favourite aunt delivered here a few years ago. My siblings and I had spent holidays down on the Yorke Peninsula with her in the days of kerosene lamps down there (it wasn't that long ago - true!) and the dresser sat in the kitchen and contained the boxes of cereal all lined up and a cupboard for the bread (that my aunt had made herself, along with the butter that would go on it)

    I loved the idea of having part of her with me, just because it was my aunt's and part of my history. But when I opened the glass doors for the first time and took one breath, and I was back there in an instant, in her big Melton country kitchen, and all the memories with me.

    It's a special place you have there, all the more special that it sounds almost like an oasis in the city. Very precious and a place to be treasured.

    Trish Morey said...

    Oh Anna, indded, like that famous scotch ad, keep walking!

    Trish Morey said...

    Or indeed, though I quite like indded.

    Cheryl Wright said...

    Hey Trish, I love the Adelaide Hills. I have a friend who lives in that area, and the first time I visited her there, a big fat Koala positioned himself in the middle of the road outside her house! If I didn't know better, I'd swear it had been set up!

    What do I love about where I live? I'd have to say my office. I'm in Melbourne, and moved house about a 20 months ago. My office is upstairs overlooking the street. I have a fabulous view to keep me company while I write. Of course it's not as good as yours - I'm in the middle of Melbourne! (But I still love it.)

    I've been much more productive since we moved, and I put it down to the fantabulous view I now have.

    Great interview BTW.



    Cheryl

    Elizabeth Rolls said...

    Hi Trish - so nice to see your orange jacket getting an outing and admiration. (Hi Kylie!) I was a LOT poorer when I left that shop. Somehow Trish got out with one jacket and persuaded me to buy two! Must be something about the glamour of writing for Presents. Helen Bianchin and Robyn Donald are just as lethal to shop with!

    DH and I took a day off. We've been down checking out bathroom fittings and tiles. I really, really want to know how anyone can possibly spend over a thousand dollars on ONE tap . . .

    Eleni Konstantine said...

    Trish - love the connection to your aunt's dresser.

    Cheryl - lovely to have a fab view to keep you company.

    Elizabeth - LOL on the jacket shopping. As for a thousand dollars on a tap - eeek!

    Trish Morey said...

    Hi Cheryl, I think I've met that koala!:-))

    Your new office sounds fabulous. I love having big windows in my office. Don't think I could write in a padded cell (do hope I never need to find out:-))

    Trish Morey said...

    Elizabeth, those jackets were a bargain! Much cheaper (and more fun) than a single tap. What was it, gold plated? Definitely one for a Presents novel:)

    Paula Roe said...

    Barossa retreat?? You're on, PJ!

    Eleni Konstantine said...

    LOL Trish - yes, you can have the hero buying a thousand dollar tap as if was pocket change and the heroine going WTF? Well not literally, it IS a presents after all!

    Paula - yep, definitely interested in the retreat I see.

    Anonymous said...

    I live in SoCal and I love the weather !!!

    luckydolls123[at]verizon[dot]net

    Eleni Konstantine said...

    Hi Dolls - welcome to the taverna. I'm thinking SoCal stands for southern California. Nothing like loving the weather where you live. It's starting to warm up here in Adelaide. I like Goldilocks weather - not too cold, not too hot (& boy can it get hot here), just right.

    Eleni Konstantine said...

    Thank you for everyone for commenting and making Trish welcome. She's a blast isn't she...

    Comments are closed and the winner of Trish's book is Becca J Heath. Becca since you already have this book, Trish has kindly offered a title from her backlist. Let me know which one you would like to receive.

    Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...